Monday, January 14, 2013

Not Much Action

I haven't sewn too much since Christmas.  We got the Spools quilt done by a long-arm quilter.  I am waiting for my mom to bring it this week so I can get the binding sewn on.  My grandmother was so excited and surprised when she opened the box with the quilt top in it!

The story behind the quilt: My grandmother has been quilting for almost as long as I can remember.  She has sewn for most of her life, but after she retired she learned to quilt.  One Christmas, I asked her to buy me a beginning quilting book.  After I got the book, she helped me make a very simple patchwork quilt.  It is not big at all, but it was my first quilt and is still special.  From there, I started reading blogs and finding patterns online, always calling Nana when I ran into a problem or needed an opinion.  She taught me how to use a rotary cutter, how to tack a quilt, how to make and attach border, and how to make and attach binding.  Without her help, I would not know anything about quilting nor would I have ever looked into getting started.  I owe all of my quilting to her.  I wanted to make something special for her to thank her for teaching me.  When I saw the Spools quilt pattern, I knew it was perfect for Nana since it related to sewing and quilting.  I can't wait to finish the binding up and attach a label and give the quilt back to its new owner!

The other quilt was for my mother-in-law.  I took the batting and everything to finish it when we went home for Christmas, but I did not have ANY time to do it.  I accidently left the batting there so I am waiting for that to come with my mom this week too. 

In other news, I am excited to say that I am in the process of testing a new pattern for Tie Dye Diva Sewing Patterns.  After the pattern is released, I can show more.  :)

No comments: