Thursday, June 7, 2012

Quilts for Kids

Here are the two quilts I made for the Downy Touch of Comfort Quilts for Kids. 

The Cars quilt is the one I received the kit from Downy to make.  It included everything by the binding.  I intended to fold over the backing to make the binding.  Without even thinking, I squared up the quilt after quilting and cut the extra backing right off!  The next morning, I ran out and bought some bias tape to use for the binding.  This quilt is different from other things I have made in several ways.  First off, it had to be heavily quilted to withstand the many harsh washes at the hospital.  Also, the binding needed to be zig-zag stitched so that it would not get caught on IVs.  I think this quilt turned out great!  I am glad I was able to make this Cars quilt for a child in the hospital.  I hope it brightens their day.


For receiving the quilt kit, they ask that you also donate a quilt that meets their specifications.  I was already working on three smaller quilts using a Hullabaloo jelly roll that I bought a while back.  Since they sent me fabric for a boyish quilt, I knew I wanted to make a girly one to send as my donation.  Since the center was square, I just added larger borders to the top and bottom.  The pink border is a print I picked up from my LQS but was not from the same line.  It matches nicely though. 
Now all I need to do is get them in the mail! 

No comments: